Garbage, Organics & Recycling
COVID-19 Update: new guidelines are in place for disposing of household garbage, recycling and organics in order to protect the health and safety of our staff, the community and contract employees for waste collection.
The City of Spruce Grove has a comprehensive waste collection program that includes residential waste collection, an Eco Centre and several seasonal events, including Large Item Pick Up, Free-cycle, Shred-4-Free and E-roundup. See our annual waste collection guide for more information.
Residential waste collection
Residential waste is picked up through the City’s residential waste collection program on your waste collection day. Please note that residential waste collection will occur on all statutory holidays with two exceptions:
- Friday, Dec. 25, 2020, collection > moves to Saturday, Dec. 26, 2020
- Friday, Jan. 1, 2021, collection > moves to Saturday, Jan. 2, 2021
Note: the location of your waste collection will not be changing (ie. front street or alley).
Residential waste collection includes three components:
- Garbage – black waste carts are collected weekly.
- Organics – green organics carts are collected weekly from mid-April to mid-November and monthly from December to March.
- Recycling – Blue recycle bags are collected weekly.
For the most part, waste is picked up in the back alley in subdivisions with back alleys and on the front street in areas without alleys. Residents living in condominiums or apartment buildings, as well as business owners, have private waste collection services.
Black waste carts and green organics carts are numbered and assigned to each property’s solid waste utility account. If you move, leave the carts for the next occupant. If your carts need to be repaired or replaced, or you move into a property with no carts, call 780-962-7584.
What goes where?
If you’re not sure if an item should be placed in your black waste cart, green organics cart, or blue recycle bag, check out Trim Your Trash – Spruce Grove’s Ultimate Guide to What Goes Where.
Residential waste collection requirements
- Put your carts/blue bags out by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Place your carts on the street against the curb or at the edge of your laneway.
- Point the arrows on top of carts towards the roadway or lane.
- Ensure there is at least one meter’s length of clearance on all sides of the carts.
- Ensure all cart lids are fully closed.
- Maximum weight is 200 lbs.
Automated trucks are used for residential waste collection. Proper cart placement is required to ensure successful collection. Improper placement, or lids that are not fully closed, may result in your waste or organics carts not being collected.