Free-cycle and Large Item Pick Up
Remember to follow all provincial health guidelines and help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Wear a face covering, practice physical distancing, and maintain good hygiene – wash your hands often, use hand sanitizer, cover coughs and sneezes, and avoid touching your face.
June 5 and 6, 2021
Your trash could be someone else’s treasure.
Free-cycle is a community event where residents can leave unwanted items at the front of their home for others to take. It’s a great way to keep reusable items out of the landfill.
How it works
Leave your unwanted items on the front of your property next to the curb or sidewalk. All items must be free and legal. Don’t leave items in your alley, on sidewalks or on the roadway.
If you are out looking for new treasures, only take items that are on the very front of someone’s property. Don’t take items from alleys, on driveways or lawns.
Residents must remove any items that do not qualify for Large Item Pick Up from their properties by the end of the day on June 6, 2021.
If you have items normally stored outdoors, like sports and gardening equipment or decorations and ornaments, it’s a good idea to put them away during Free-cycle. This helps avoid confusion about what is and isn't up for grabs.
June 7-11, 2021
Have an old sofa or barbecue you need to get rid of? Put them out for the City's Large Item Pickup event.
How it works
A maximum of three large items will be accepted per household.
Items must be placed at the front of your home by 7 a.m. on your regular waste collection day, even if your carts and blue recycling bags are picked up in an alley.
Large items will be collected by different trucks than your regular waste collection.
Items that WILL BE collected:
- Household furniture, mattresses and box springs
- Stoves, dishwashers, washers, dryers, furnaces and hot water tanks
- Sinks and toilets
- Snow blowers and lawn mowers (all fluids must be drained)
- Bicycles, hockey nets and basketball nets. These items must be marked with a note indicating the item is intended for Large Item Pickup.
- Wheel barrows, rain barrels, lawn furniture and barbecues (no tanks). These items must be marked with a note indicating the item is intended for Large Item Pickup.
Items that WILL NOT be collected:
- Household renovation, construction and demolition material
- Additional household waste and organics
- Hazardous materials, including but not limited to paint, motor oil, batteries, fuels and propane tanks/bottles
- Fridges, freezers and air conditioners
- Railroad ties, snowmobiles, ATVs, vehicle parts, tires and engines
- Assembled swing sets
- Electronics, including TVs, stereos, desktop printers and computers (monitors, towers, key boards, speakers and mice)
- Items larger than six feet by three feet (1.8 metres by 0.9 metres)
- Items weighing more than 200 pounds