The Government of Canada introduced Bill C-45 to legalize recreational cannabis effective Oct. 17, 2018. At the time of legalization, only dried cannabis, cannabis oil and seeds will be legal for purchase and use.
Consumption of cannabis in Spruce Grove is regulated by the City’s Consumption of Cannabis in Public Places Bylaw , which was approved by Spruce Grove City Council on Sept. 24, 2018. Learn more about cannabis consumption in Spruce Grove.
Cannabis retail businesses in Spruce Grove are regulated under the City’s Land Use Bylaw. Spruce Grove City Council approved amendments to the Land Use Bylaw for the purpose of regulating cannabis-related businesses in Spruce Grove on June 11, 2018. The amendments went into effect on July 18, 2018. Learn more about cannabis retail businesses in Spruce Grove.
Responsibilities and regulations
|Government of Canada
|Government of Alberta
|City of Spruce Grove
|New criminal offences|
|Age limit (Federal limit)|
|Retail locations and rules|
|Land use and zoning|
Regulations in support of legalization
Government of Canada (federal)
Cannabis Act: Provides laws for controlling the production, distribution, sale, and possession of cannabis across Canada.
Government of Alberta (provincial)
An act to control and regulate cannabis:
- Provides oversight of wholesale distribution
- Regulates sales and consumption
- Provides tools for law enforcement
- Provides oversight for employers to ensure safety on our roads and at work
City of Spruce Grove (municipal)
Bylaws and policies:
- Regulating businesses operating within the municipality
- Regulating public consumption
Education and enforcement:
- Educating citizens and enforcing municipal, provincial and federal regulation of legalized recreational cannabis