Residential Utilities


Homeowners can apply online for utilities or come to City Hall to set up your account.

Renters (tenants)

The following information is required for renters (tenants) to set up a utility account:

Applications accepted by email or in person at City Hall.

Moving / closing utility account

If you are moving out of Spruce Grove, or moving from one property to another within Spruce Grove, you will have to close your current utilities account. This can be done online or in person at City Hall.

Please note: Utility account numbers do not transfer from one address to another. A new utility account number will be provided to you on your first utility bill at the new location. Please be sure to update this information with your bank if you pay for your utilities through online or telephone banking.


Please call us at 780-962-7597 or email us for assistance.