Each residence in Spruce Grove has a 240 litre green organics cart for food and yard waste. It is collected and taken to a local composting facility and turned into compost. Organic materials can also be taken to the Eco Centre at no charge.
Organics pick up
Pick up takes place on your regular collection day. For details, view the collection day schedule .
Weekly pick up (mid-April to mid-November)
The last weekly collection for 2018 is the week of November 12, 2018.
Monthly pick up (December to March)
Through the winter season, organics are collected on a monthly basis during the second full week of the month. In 2018, monthly collection will take place during the weeks of Dec. 10, 2018. In 2019, monthly collection will take place during the weeks of Jan. 14, Feb. 11 and March 11.
What to put in organics cart
You may put food and yard waste into your green organics cart, as well as soiled paper products like used paper towels and pizza boxes. To find out what else you can put into your organics cart, check out Trim Your Trash.
Incorrectly disposing of non-compostable items in your green organics cart contaminates the contents of your cart, and potentially an entire truckload of organic material. If a load is badly contaminated it will end up in the landfill instead of becoming compost.
Extra organic waste
If you have more organic waste than what fits into your cart with the lid completely closed, put your extra organics into compostable bags and place them beside your cart on collection day. You can also take extra compost (in compostable bags) to the Eco Centre.
Residents are also encouraged to practice grass cycling – leaving grass clippings on the lawn instead of bagging. This significantly reduces yard waste and retains moisture, reducing the need for watering.
Helpful tips for getting the most out of your green organics cart
- Line your cart with newspaper for a quick and inexpensive solution to items sticking or freezing to the sides of your cart.
- Trap wet waste in paper towel, newspaper, paper bags or cereal boxes to avoid a mess.
- Minimize odours by freezing meat, fish and other odorous items until collection day.
- Clean out your fridge close to your organics collection day.
- Use bags to collect organic waste, but make sure they are certified compostable. Biodegradable and plastic bags cannot be placed in your green organics cart.
- Layer wet and dry waste to help absorb excess moisture and prevent items freezing to the cart in winter.
- Control flies and bugs by spreading dish soap around the lip of your cart.
- Let the waste in your cart rest because pressing it down tightly may prevent items from emptying during collection.
- Store your cart in a dry place as rain and snow allow water to collect inside the cart which can cause damage or hinder emptying.
- Pull your cart to the curb (instead of pushing it) to prevent snow or debris from gathering in front of the cart and making it difficult to collect.
- Make your cart accessible so staff can easily get to it on collection day. Make sure there is an arm’s length of clearance on all sides of the cart.
- Hose down your cart (inside and out) with soap, baking soda or ammonia.
To report a broken/damaged organics cart or missed collection, call 780-962-7584.
To open a new utility account, call 780-962-7597 or apply online.