Guidelines for Sidewalk Safety
In Spruce Grove, sidewalks and trails are a shared space that are used for walking, running, and rolling, by people of all ages and abilities. This includes pedestrians, pet owners, bicyclists, skateboarders, and those using mobility aids.
To ensure everyone’s comfort and safety, when using the sidewalks and trails please keep the following tips in mind to keep it safe and fun for all users:
- Be aware. Pay attention to who and what is around you. Watch out for other users, entrances and exists to driveways and parking lots, and all traffic controls.
- Stay to the right, pass on the left. Use the right side of the sidewalk to provide space for others.
- Make space. Walk single file on narrow or busy sidewalks
- Don't block the path. Step aside when stopping.
- Leash up. All dogs must be on a leash when going for a walk on sidewalks and trails. Use a short leash to ensure they don’t block the path.
- Say hello. If you are going to be passing someone, use your voice, a horn or a bell to alert others to your presence
- Be visible. Wear or use lights and reflectors when it’s dark out so others can see you.
Additionally, people riding bikes can take further safety steps when out in the community.