Information for voters
The 2021 Municipal Election will be held on October 18, 2021.
Individuals can vote in the City of Spruce Grove’s municipal election if they:
- are at least 18 years old;
- are a Canadian citizen;
- are a resident of the City of Spruce Grove on Election Day (October 18, 2021);
If a candidate, a candidate’s official agent, or a scrutineer believes a voter is not eligible to vote, an objection will be noted on the voting register.
Voting more than once is a punishable offense under the Local Authorities Election Act. Offenders face up to six months of imprisonment, a maximum fine of $10,000, or both.
In order to vote, you must produce one piece of authorized identification that establishes both your name and current residential address.
Only eligible electors who live in the municipality will be permitted to vote in the City of Spruce Grove’s 2021 municipal election. If you have more than one residence in Alberta, you must designate one place of residence. Section 48 of the Local Authorities Election Act provides more information on determining residency.
Individuals who own property or a business in Spruce Grove, but are not residents are not permitted to vote.
Advance Voting Opportunities
Advance voting opportunities will be available at the following locations on the listed days and times:
Spruce Grove Alliance Church; 250 Century Road
|Thursday, October 7||4:00 – 8:00 pm|
|Friday, October 8||12:00 – 5:00 pm|
|Elks Hall; 400 Diamond Avenue|
|Tuesday, October 12||12:00 – 5:00 pm|
|Thursday, October 14||4:00 – 8:00 pm|
|Saturday, October 16||10:00 am – 4:00 pm|
On Monday, October 18, electors can vote at any of the following voting stations:
|Voting Station Location||Address||Time|
|Elks Hall||400 Diamond Avenue||6:30 am – 8:00 pm|
|Living Waters Christian Academy||5 Grove Drive||6:30 am – 8:00 pm|
|Spruce Grove Alliance Church||250 Century Road||6:30 am – 8:00 pm|
|TransAlta Tri Leisure Centre||221 Jennifer Heil Way||6:30 am – 8:00 pm|
- The City of Spruce Grove has partnered with the Evergreen Catholic Separate School Division and Parkland School Division to conduct their 2021 school trustee election. For further information including a list of candidates, please visit:
Senate nominee election and referendum vote
- The City of Spruce Grove is facilitating the vote process for the province to select nominees for Canada’s senate as well as a referendum vote. Elections Alberta is responsible for communications and questions regarding the process and further information is available at here.
If you will be unable to attend a physical voting station on election day or one of the five advance voting days, you can request a special ballot for one of three reasons:
- physical disability
- out of the jurisdiction
- are a candidate or working as an election worker
This program will replace the Elector at Home voting program that occurred in Spruce Grove in past elections.
Between August 1, 2021, and 4:00 pm on Friday, October 15, 2021, you can request a package by completing the Request for Special Ballot Package and submitting to the Returning Officer:
- In writing
- By telephone (780-962-7634)
- In person (City Hall; 315 Jespersen Avenue)
- By email (email@example.com)
The packages will be mailed to voters late in September, after the close of nomination period on September 20. Once voters receive the package, it will be up to them to ensure it is returned to the City by October 18.
Completing and returning the ballot
- Those voting by special ballot will be required to provide a photocopy of their authorized identification that establishes both their name and current residential address, such as an Alberta Driver’s Licence or Alberta Identification Card when they return their ballot package.
- Special ballot packages will not be accepted at Advance Vote or Election Day voting stations.
- In order to be counted, completed special ballot packages must be received by the Returning Officer no later than 4 p.m. on Monday, October 18, 2021.
- Completed special ballot packages may be returned to City Hall by mail/courier or in person, at:
- City of Spruce Grove
- 315 Jespersen Ave
- Spruce Grove, Alberta T7X 3E8
- All costs associated with returning the package are the responsibility of the voter.
- Full instructions on the completion and return of the Special Ballot package will be included in the information received with the package.