For many people, pets are part of the family and when they go missing it can be a stressful and anxious time for both the owners and the animals.
Lost your pet?
If you discover your pet is lost, there are several things you should do:
- Look around your home, yard and neighbourhood. Ask your neighbours if they have seen your pet, including the time and location.
- Contact Animal Control (Enforcement Services) to file a missing pet report.
- Social media can be a useful tool to help locate your lost pet. You can visit the Parkland County Animal Shelter Facebook page for information on animals that have been brought into the shelter.
Any lost and found pets within Spruce Grove are taken to Parkland County Animal Shelter, located at 2700 - 48 St., Stony Plain. The shelter can also be reached by calling 780-968-8400.
If you locate your pet at the shelter, owners are generally responsible for paying shelter fees. You may also receive a ticket for having a dog at large.
Found a pet?
If you find a lost or stray dog, contact Animal Control and a Community Peace Officer will pick up the animal. Animal Control does not pick up stray cats. If you find a lost or stray cat, you can take it to the Parkland County Animal Shelter on your own.
Keep your pet safe
We all want to be a responsible pet owner and keep our animals safe. There are steps you can take to help prevent your pet from getting lost and, if your pet does go missing, help ensure a safe return home:
- Put a collar or harness on your pet with the required identification tag that includes your contact information.
- Tattoo or microchip your pet and ensure the contact information is accurate.
- Keep indoor pets inside – the chance of them going missing is greatly reduced if they stay indoors.
- Spay and neuter your companion pets, as this will diminish their urge to roam and mate.
- If you take your pet outside, ensure it is properly leashed or in a secured area, like a fenced yard.